Friday, March 16, 2012

Sunset on Passe-A-Grille Beach


In St Pete Beach people appear out of nowhere to watch the sunset. Yesterday evening, we were among them on "historic Passe-A-Grille Beach". We drove south to The Wharf for dinner, where we had eaten last year when we were here. The parking lot and restaurant were crowded when we arrived at about 6:30 and, rather than wait for a table, we took a patron's advice and sat at the bar. I thought wistfully of the dolphins we had seen from the rail outside last year, but after Bob reminded me that smoking is allowed outside, I realized inside is a good place to be and I was soon happily downing a martini.

Our meals (hamburger for Bob, tilapia sandwich for me) were good rather than great. I did enjoy my choice of side (beans and rice); Bob opted for fries that didn't look any better than OK. Bob's left side neighbor, a retired teacher from Boston, was chatting him up throughout the meal. She seemed to be trying to interest him in one of several condos she owned and rented out to visitors. Around the corner of the bar were a father and his two kids from Toronto (lots of Canadians here)! As we left the restaurant, I was struck by the quality of the light, reminding me of sunset in Venice, when the canals and buildings sparkle in the facing sunlight of early eveing.

Sunset was close by the time we parked on the west side of Passe-A Grille. As I took pictures, Bob found a bench and chatted with a local resident, a transplant from Tampa who moved to St Pete when he and his wife divorced a few years ago. Some sunset seekers walked on the beach or waited reverently by the water. Children played in the sand. Seagulls looked for leftovers from beach picnickers and I happily took pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment