Monday, March 19, 2012

Raucous Gulls

I love the beach at Fort De Soto: seven miles of sand, clear water, lots of sea life. I especially enjoy visiting the area where a section is set aside for migrating and nesting birds. A tidal pool attracts hundreds of gulls and other near shore birds, most of which just wade, swim, eat and generally mind their own business.

Not the sea gulls. Today as I walked near the tidal pool toward a large flock of gulls, a few of them started to complain loudly. I was at least 50 yards away, but soon the cacophonous, hoarse sounds filled the air. I looked up, thinking a hawk or other predator must be near. Could the large egret be evoking such a reaction? Don't think so: the gulls knew the enemy, and it was me! I had a vision of those long, strong beaks chomping on my body and pulling my hair, so I got out of their territory as soon as I had taken a couple of pictures. They drove me out in about 90 seconds.

The heat of the Florida sun was beating down on me by this time. It was a long walk to the car. One more stop at the beach facing yesterday's Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment