Monday, March 12, 2012

No Early Risers

One advantage of being a poor sleeper is that I have a lot of time. I've been awake on and off -- mostly on -- since about 3:30. Shortly after 6, I went down to the lobby to get the Tampa Bay Times but the Sunday edition was still in the box. If I'd had a jacket on, I could have walked to the 7-11, but instead I came back upstairs and struggled with the vertical blinds in the dark. Finally, I just decided to open the sliding door to the deck and slip through, as quietly (not very) as I could.

It feels like an early summer morning at "the lake" in Minnesota. Kind of cold, actually, just right for my fleece jacket but wrong for shorts. Fortunately, the laptop is keeping my legs warm. I just heard my first birds (wish I'd brought the handy birdsong guide Marilyn gave me a few years ago) and the sky may be just a little lighter.

Most of the spring breakers here are early bird dinner types, but unlike Morty Seinfeld, they seem to sleep later too. I am the only one out here. I hear mostly light waves, a little wind, and the muted traffic noise from Gulf Boulevard a few hundred yards away.

No comments:

Post a Comment